Moneta Sleet is African American photographer who
was born February 14, 1926. Sleet started taking
pictures after his parents gave him an
old box camera.
- Attending Kentucky State College
- Received a MA in journalism for NYU.
- Joined Ebony Magazine Staff
- He covered significant moments like the Civil Rights Movement, The Nobel Peace Prize, and other world events.
- Moneta’s photos have been showcased in a variety of
museums and libraries. ( I will definitely look out
for this man’s work)
1969 was the year he was the first black person to
receive a Pulitzer Prize in journalism for his photo
of Coretta Scott King at Dr. Martin Luther King
Jr’s funeral. (That’s the easiest way to remember
him, especially since he contributed to a great
leader in black history.)
Also, he wrote “Special Moments in African American
History: The photographs of Moneta Sleet Jr
This is my favorite site because it has black history information for one. Two, because it has a lot of black history information: